Man Overboard!

A place to hang my shit.

Exercise

Posted on December 17th, 2008 in exercise, health, Random thoughts by g-man || 12 Comments

I went to the gym yesterday and my usual routine is to do the 33 minutes on the elliptical machine (the “weight-loss” mode at level 11) followed by various strength machines. (Ooo as an aside: our gym is getting a new system that ties into all the Nautilus machines to calibrate your workout. When you sit down at a machine you enter your code and do the reps it will apparently analyze if you are doing them correctly and how many and how much weight, all of which can be tracked via a web site. Cool huh)

NautilusNitroPlusAB.jpgSo anyway, I get into the gym and the only open elliptical machine (with articulated arms) is next to the very well toned and attractive young woman who is just going to town on her machine! As I am climbing on I am thinking what a nice model she would be, she was well proportioned and curvy in the right places. The pose that came to mind for her was a camera up angle of her stretching skyward with soft lighting.

So I don my iPod and start cranking away myself. The music in my “workout” playlist is all the high energy hard rock that I own, and I try to keep the rhythm as I pedal. It was harder than usual since I can see workout girl in my periphery, and some of my beats were slower than her pace and I kept finding myself trying to keep pace with her, feeding off her apparently abundant energy.

I kept up pretty well (sometimes faster because of the music) throughout the whole 28 minute workout and slowed considerably for the 5 minute cool down. Usually I check the “calorie” counter as a reference to see how much I put out. Normal is between 390 and 430, last night was 499, woo hoo. I guess there is something to be said for not wanting to look like a shlub next to the hot young chick. :)

12 responses to “Exercise”

1. Jen says:

At some point in my past life, I’d like to believe I was that hot, young chic! But age and life somehow got in the way. I try really hard at the gym and now if some hottie gets on a machine next to me (whether guy or girl) I get embarassed. . . . .

(sigh)

Good for you though G-man! Keep it up!

g-man reply on December 17th, 2008 1:05 pm:

I have seen pictures of you on your blog, I’d say you are still a hot chick.

My wife is also impressed that I have been keeping regular (or more regular than usual) hours at the gym. I have a goal, and the only way to meet it is to hit the gym.

2. Amy says:

Too funny! I bet you fed off each other. She was probably going faster than her normal to try to out do you as well. ;-)

g-man reply on December 17th, 2008 1:07 pm:

Hi Amy, Thanks. That wouldn’t surprise me, I did see her check me out a few times during our workout. (Either that or she was looking past me)

3. gary says:

go GMAN GO!

g-man reply on December 17th, 2008 2:33 pm:

Thanks Gary.

4. Gadfly says:

That’s why I don’t run where other people run any more. Some young women feel bad about passing you. “No, hell, go on! I know I’m old” *chuckle*

5. mackey says:

No need to thank me friend. See you there tomorrow? I will wear the short shorts;) lmao

6. Newt says:

Hey, whatever works on the motivational front!

I found a good means of motivation. Though not keeping up with the sexy dude at the gym. I’m going to track the miles again to raise money for charity. ASPCA this time.

7. hope says:

Sigh…I ran into a Hot Chick’s Venezuelan sister here the other day at my gym. I kept trying to circuit around AFTER her but inevitably I seemed to wind up in front of her completely self conscious.Now wokring out amongst strong guys I can handle..they do the same for me Hot Chick seemed to do for you…it’s all pure moto, but put me around some beautiful woman and ohmyhell my stomach sinks.

Great job on working out, G-man!

8. Chatty says:

499? Woo Hoo!
    I am impressed. Hope workout girl sticks around to help you stay motivated. And kudos for getting motivated BEFORE January 1 – you have a leg up on the whole New Year’s Resolutions craziness.
    I just stopped by to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas – I hope you have a wonderful celebration!

9. farmer*swife says:

No Fair! DH is the same. We can both use the treadmill and I bust my @$$ he he busts his and he burns over twice the calories as me. Again, no fair.

But, I’m happy for the workout thingie and all. I’m sure the Wife is happy with you too! ;-)