Man Overboard!

A place to hang my shit.

Radio Silence

Posted on January 5th, 2009 in Bloggers Block, exercise, family, food, health, housekeeping, Random thoughts, sisters, weight, wii by g-man || 12 Comments

zgi_6554a.jpg
This radio silence was brought to you compliments of the holidays and my overwhelming laziness. I do hope that your solstice and new year celebrations were most excellent, and I wish for us all that 2009 bring peace and prosperity.

My vacation had ups (sleeping in most every day) and downs (watching my lovely wife slip and fall in a puddle of vomit at 2am), but mostly it was positive. The wii was a big hit this year, I bought Wii Fit for my wife (and the rest of us too) it is really fun AND you get some real exercise from it, although having it call you obese every day is a bit much. My “wii fit age” (something it calculates as your approximate health age) has bounced about from 58, to 32, to 42, so I’m not really sure what to make from that. Also for the wii I got Guitar Hero World Tour (With the drums and Microphone) from my MIL, I will need to practice! Each of the girls got wii games too, so in the cold of winter we will have lots to do.

Now that the holidays are over and we are back to work, we are on a lifestyle reduction plan. We are trying to reduce our debt, our clutter, and our weight. Last night Heather went through our closet and removed all the crap from the floor, and buddy there was a LOT of crap. We sorted through all of it and all the tee shirts and have a huge pile for the Good Will, and bonus we have space in the closet AND you can still see the floor. I may build some shelves to complete the project, we’ll see.

On the debt and weight reduction side, we are not going to be eating out as much, and we will be continuing our regular visits to the gym. More to the point *I* will be continuing my regular visits to the gym, Heather already exercises regularly. She asked me to do the “Couch to 5K” so that I can start running. I hate running, but I love my wife more, so I will be starting that some time. I will also go back to watching more of what I eat. Part of my eating problem stems from my mood, when I am down I don’t care what I eat and will eat to feel better. I was also chatting with my little sis not too long ago and we concluded that we three sibs have the same pathology when it comes to food (and shopping for clothes apparently). When we eat, we tend to order a lot because we don’t want to miss out on anything. I’m not sure why that is, but growing up we were poor and didn’t eat out save for a rare occasion. As for shopping we all seem to find something we like then buy it in different colors. It was not until this chat that we discovered that we three exhibit these same behaviors. Spooky huh?!?

I had lots of moments over the past week where I thought “Ooo this could be funny to blog about.” but by laziness got the better of me.

Here is to a fantastic 2009!

12 responses to “Radio Silence”

1. Biscuit says:

We have gone Wii nutty in this house! This is like the best thing EVER!!!

g-man reply on January 5th, 2009 2:03 pm:

And guess who is the master of all things hula-hoop?!? My girls tell me that at least using a real hula-hoop they can kick my ass. :)

2. kcinnova says:

Sadly, Guitar Hero does not give me a good workout. My boys can play Wii tennis sitting down, but I have to get into proper position to lob those balls over the net. My shoulder always hurts when I’m done with a game.
    I don’t think I’ve ever met a man who eats and shops like a woman. My husband would have me think that I’m the only one in the world who is an emotional eater (except I know better, there are lots of us out there)!
    Good luck on your resolutions. I haven’t put it all into writing, but it’s pretty much what you said.

g-man reply on January 5th, 2009 2:12 pm:

I play GH better if I am standing up. Well the guitar of course, the drums and vocals I can be sitting down. Wii boxing made my arms hurt for days.

I guess my eating and shopping come from having grown up with my mom and two sisters. Go figure.

Good luck with your behavior mods for this year too. :)

3. Dana says:

Laziness is a good thing while one is on vacation!

Glad you enjoyed yourself – good luck with the reduction plans!!

g-man reply on January 6th, 2009 8:07 am:

I agree, I throughly enjoyed my lazy time! Thanks, I’m sure I’ll post more about how that is going :)

4. joansy says:

It sounds like a great plan. It also sounds like I may be your long lost sister as I have exactly those same patterns.

I like the Wii boxing and also like the new Raving Rabbids game. It uses the fit board for a bunch of the games and is just plain silly. Which is good.

g-man reply on January 6th, 2009 8:09 am:

Welcome to the fam love! :)

I have heard about the rabbit game but haven’t checked it out. I’m glad that you like it, if that is one that can be played online we’ll have to hook up.

5. Karen says:

Oh! Reducing clutter. That is a good one. I so need to get on that bandwagon! Happy New Year.

g-man reply on January 6th, 2009 8:11 am:

Thanks, and a Happy New Year to you too Karen. Hop on the bandwagon there is more room :)

6. I’ve only bowled and golfed a bit on the Wii (which is the only way you’ll ever get me to golf) because we keep one here at work for the night shift. I can see where it would be a hit at my house, but for now, the Xbox rules. It was a really nice lazy Christmas break at my house as well, particularly for the wife who’s biggest pain in the neck is getting everyone up, dressed and out. When they’re home, she enjoys not having that on the schedule. I just work. And with regards to blogging, I’m totally there with you. If I actually blogged all the things that I composed “mental posts” about, I’d have a half dozen a day. My laziness saves all of you from the boredom that is me.
    You’re welcome
    FMD

7. Gadfly says:

When they have Wii supermodel sex … I’ll look into it ;-)