Man Overboard!

A place to hang my shit.

Surprise!

Posted on May 4th, 2009 in family, food, friends, party, Random thoughts, wife by g-man || 34 Comments

ZGI_8995.JPGSo Saturday was supposed to be the surprise party for my lovely wife. I had three of the best people planning the party details, while I was in charge of getting the booze. We had the party at a friends house, and had a margarita/Mexican theme.
Heather expected that Esmerelda and I were up to something but she didn’t know what. Well that was true up to Friday evening. While we were at pot-luck dinner when one of the other kids from church told Heather that she was all excited about having a baby sitter so her parents could go to Heather’s birthday party. The poor kid was so upset at blowing the surprise. It took some soft words and hugs to convince her that she had done nothing wrong, and we moved on.
ZGI_9003.JPG

While the party surprise was shot, I still had some up my sleeve. I had invited Builder Mama and family, who came early and surprised Heather in the back yard. I had arranged that Monkey Man and my girls would all hang out and torture one sitter! The final surprise was H’s best friend growing up arriving. There were friends from church, and the neighborhood, and H’s crafty friends.
ZGI_9001.JPG
The food was great, and the cake awesome, the house and decorations fun and cheerful (including a piƱata filled with chocolate and booze). It was a huge success all thanks to the the women (and men) who contributed their time and talents to making the celebration of my wife’s 40th totally awesome.

Sunday we had breakfast with the the out-of-towners before they headed back to their respective states of origin. It was a little uncomfortable since our waitress was a woman who was recently laid off from the company my wife works for.

Then church, and afterwards a birthday party for the girls to attend. I wanted to take a nap during that party but I wound up retrieving the remainder of the booze, and getting the oil changed in the van, and getting a haircut.

All-in-all a fine weekend.

34 responses to “Surprise!”

1. Esmerelda says:

WOO HOO! and a picture of the blowing of the candles! PERFECT!

g-man reply on May 6th, 2009 12:27 pm:

Wouldn’t have missed that one for the world :)

2. mackey says:

Awwww…what a sweetie you are.
    Happy 40th Mrs Gman. Welcome to the club;)

g-man reply on May 6th, 2009 12:28 pm:

Yes I am ;) I will pass that on.

3. Gadfly says:

Wow. The cake looks like a giant version of one of those Girl Scout cookies that I used to like back when I did carbs :o)

g-man reply on May 6th, 2009 12:28 pm:

Oooo but it is WAY better. This was an awesome cake.

4. Gramps says:

40?! Wow, she’s OLD. Must be time to trade her in for a younger model.

Sounds like you had fun, though. They put the right guy in charge of the booze.

g-man reply on May 6th, 2009 12:30 pm:

LOL I’ll give her a few more years ;)

We did have fun, and the booze flowed all night.

5. gary says:

did you, ah, have time to read the Bible to her too?

g-man reply on May 6th, 2009 12:30 pm:

LOL Na, we were too tired. Maybe tomorrow!

6. Lynda says:

Well, isn’t Gary a smart-a$$? lol! Happy belated birthday to Heather – what a NICE party!!

g-man reply on May 6th, 2009 12:31 pm:

Why yes he is! Thank you, I’ll pass that on. :)

7. Hope says:

That was pretty cool of you, Mr. Gman. I didn’t have that kind of a 40th!

g-man reply on May 6th, 2009 12:31 pm:

I thought so too. My 40th was a bit more subdued.

8. Jay says:

A surprise party! Awesome!

g-man reply on May 6th, 2009 12:32 pm:

It was awesome!

9. Karen says:

Happy Bday Mrs. G-Man!

g-man reply on May 6th, 2009 12:32 pm:

Thank you, I’ll give her the good wishes.

10. Dana says:

I had one of those moments when I was a child too – unfortunately, those it affected weren’t quite as understanding as you were!

I am quite impressed!

g-man reply on May 6th, 2009 12:33 pm:

I’m sure I have too, I’m lousy at keeping secrets, I’m sure that helped me be understanding.

11. Phil L. says:

The cake (well, and the rest of the party) was AWESOME!

g-man reply on May 6th, 2009 12:34 pm:

Thanks Phil. We had a great time too.

12. Janet says:

awesome cake! awesome margaritas! Happy Birthday Mrs. G-man :-)

g-man reply on May 6th, 2009 12:34 pm:

Thanks Janet. I’ll pass that along.

13. OK you’re hired! Next year, Wifester’s B-day is on you!

g-man reply on May 6th, 2009 12:35 pm:

Okay, but I was only in charge of booze, I’ll have to bring the rest of the party planners :)

14. Builder Mama says:

Yes sir, you guys really pulled off an awesome party! And I have to say that The Huz and I both agreed that if we could find a church where people did shots of tequila, we would become very faithful attendees. For real. Y’all have a really great group of friends.

We had a great time…thanks for including us. Love ya, mean it!

g-man reply on May 6th, 2009 12:37 pm:

Well to be fair, it is not like we were IN church doing shots … Yes we have some great friends (you guys included).

You’re welcome, we were glad to have you. Love ya too!!

15. kcinnova says:

That cake looks incredible, and you all did an awesome job with that party! It’s hard for kids to keep a secret. I bet your lovely wife was still surprised by all of the things you had up your sleeve. I know she must feel very loved.
    (And tell Gary that if he wants some hawt scripture to read to his wife, read Song of Solomon in the O.T.)

Thank you for your continued prayers.

g-man reply on May 6th, 2009 12:39 pm:

Thanks, it was tough, although she suspected… Yes the surprises I managed to keep did go off well. I’ll have to remember that O.T. scripture…

You are welcome.

16. Aunt Jackie says:

Delicious looking cake… Have you gotten in trouble for posting a lady’s age??? Wooahh. :))

Happy Birthday Heather!

g-man reply on May 6th, 2009 12:40 pm:

It was one of the best cakes I have ever eaten… and nope no trouble yet …

17. Tink says:

That cake is so gorgeous, I want to lick the screen.

Great job with the party! You are an awesome hubby and deserve 100 brownie points (at least). You can tell your wife I said so. ;)

g-man reply on May 6th, 2009 12:41 pm:

It was “lick the screen” good!!

I will be sure to have her add that to my brownie point total :) Thanks Tink